- TRENDING NOW
- Video: Lil Kesh – No Fake Love
- #BBNaija: Bisola Win Final Head Of House Title, As Biggie Pranked The Housemates
- Pela Tonye Okiemute, Nigeria’s Celebrity Bleaching Expert (Photos)
- Shaydee Goes Solo, Splits From Banky W’s EME Records
- ‘Nigeria’s Story Will Not Be Complete Without Remembering Fela’ Says Brymo
- Police Recovered The Body Of Dr. Allwell Orji: Lagos Based Doctor Who Jump Into Lagos Lagoon (Photos + Video)
- EFCC Warn Kemi Adetiba: ‘We Don’t Want To Disrupt The Wedding Party Unannounced’
- #BBNaija: Ese Go Hard on … Warn Fufure Husband (Photo)
- El-Rufai Is Behind My Sex Scandal – Apostle Suleman Issue Fresh Statement… Comes Out With Proof
- Daniella Okeke Breaks Silence Address Allegations Of Sexual Relationship With Apostle Suleiman
Malia Obama Makes a Statement Wearing a ‘Smoking Kills’ T-shirt
Malia Obama Makes a Statement Wearing a ‘Smoking Kills’ T-shirt.
First daughter Malia Obama knows how to make a fashion statement — literally. Just weeks after a video surfaced online of the 18-year-old appearing to smoke a joint at the Lollapalooza music festival in Chicago, Malia rocked a T-shirt bearing the phrase “Smoking kills” at another music event, this time the Budweiser Made in America Festival in Philadelphia.
The older daughter of President Barack and Michelle Obama is enjoying a gap year before entering Harvard University in 2017. The teen has kept a low profile during her father’s eight-year tenure, but as his presidency comes to a close, she has been engaging in more public activities with friends.
But the usually poised first daughter — who suffered from asthma when she was little, the president revealed in a Good Morning America interview — seemed to be trolling the press with the T-shirt she wore over Labor Day weekend to watch Chance the Rapper, Rihanna, Coldplay, and others at Jay Z’s Budweiser-sponsored event. The teen apparently scrawled “Smoking kills” across the tee in black marker, and Malia paired it with casual denim shorts. The topper? A Harvard cap as a nod to her future alma mater, as if to say, “Take that, haters.”
This sartorial screw-you comes after a video, published originally by Radar, purportedly showed Malia smoking pot, hanging out with a group of friends, and, in other photos shot at the concert, dancing in a belly-baring top. At one point, she’s even photographed “twerking” in a black Daisy Dukes and a black tank top.
Though the media pounced on the teen, many social media users were more forgiving and dismissed Malia’s behavior as that of a regular teen.
Additionally, if there was marijuana in the cigarette Malia was caught puffing, she wouldn’t be the first Obama to smoke weed. The president himself admitted in his biography Dreams From My Father to smoking marijuana and even using “a little blow” when he was younger, according to the New York Times.
It should be noted that President Obama agrees with his daughter. A former smoker himself, he signed a law in 2009 that gave the Food and Drug Administration the authority to regulate tobacco like it does cereal, monitoring how it’s promoted to kids and advertised. “Each day, 1,000 young people under the age of 18 become new, regular, daily smokers, and almost 90 percent of all smokers began at or before their 18th birthday,” Obama said at the time of the legislation’s passing. “I know. I was one of these teenagers. And so I know how difficult it can be to break this habit when it’s been with you for a long time.”