- TRENDING NOW
- Video: Lil Kesh – No Fake Love
- #BBNaija: Bisola Win Final Head Of House Title, As Biggie Pranked The Housemates
- Pela Tonye Okiemute, Nigeria’s Celebrity Bleaching Expert (Photos)
- Shaydee Goes Solo, Splits From Banky W’s EME Records
- ‘Nigeria’s Story Will Not Be Complete Without Remembering Fela’ Says Brymo
- Police Recovered The Body Of Dr. Allwell Orji: Lagos Based Doctor Who Jump Into Lagos Lagoon (Photos + Video)
- EFCC Warn Kemi Adetiba: ‘We Don’t Want To Disrupt The Wedding Party Unannounced’
- #BBNaija: Ese Go Hard on … Warn Fufure Husband (Photo)
- El-Rufai Is Behind My Sex Scandal – Apostle Suleman Issue Fresh Statement… Comes Out With Proof
- Daniella Okeke Breaks Silence Address Allegations Of Sexual Relationship With Apostle Suleiman
Ghanaians Calls For The Removal Gandhi Statue Over ‘Racist Views’
Ghanaians Calls For The Removal Gandhi Statue Over ‘Racist Views’.
Campaigners urge removal of Indian social activist’s statue from university, saying he was racist towards black people.
A group of Ghanaian academics, students and artists is calling for the removal of a statue of Mahatma Gandhi from a university campus, saying that the leader of India’s independence movement was racist towards black people.
The statue of Gandhi, who spent 21 years (1893-1914) in South Africa and fought for the rights of Indians living there, was erected at the University of Ghana in mid-June during a visit to the country by India’s President Pranab Mukherjee.
In an online petition, professors at the university cited a series of Gandhi’s own writings during his time in South Africa to illustrate his “racist identity”.
They quoted several references in which he depicted Indians as being at a higher level than black Africans, and used the racist pejorative “kaffirs” to describe them.
One of Gandhi’s writings cited in the petition reads: “Ours is one continual struggle against a degradation sought to be inflicted upon us by the Europeans, who desire to degrade us to the level of the raw Kaffir whose occupation is hunting, and whose sole ambition is to collect a certain number of cattle to buy a wife with and, then, pass his life in indolence and nakedness.”
Read More; Aljazeera